Monday, August 20, 2012

KC Chorale & Yale Wrap-up

Today is my last first day of school.  It also may be the first last day of my car, which wouldn't start after I returned from my fellowship at Yale's Norfolk Chamber Music Festival.

Life on the Estate at Yale's Norfolk Festival

Life on the Estate at Yale's Norfolk Festival

I had an amazing experience with the folks in Connecticut.  The performing went great, but I couldn't tell if I was in Connecticut or in Tolkien's Shire living in my cottage on the Ellen Battell Stoeckel estate (however, the Shire didn't have a chef that could make me gain weight!) It was a perfect week. I was surrounded by brilliant musicians from all over the world, and not to sound too pretentious, but it was nice to not be around "normal" people for awhile.  I cannot wait to meet up with some of my new friends and colleagues in the future.  I have already tried to arrange some recordings when some of us are both in the same part of the world.  Most of all, I am excited about music again.

Before I go any further, I need to say that I will have my upcoming performance schedule available next Monday on my blog - but if you cannot wait to know any concert dates, you can always email me at bryanpinkall@gmail.com.

My schedule in the first half of the year was incredible and torturous, but now I am completely rejuvenated and motivated - thanks, especially to the brilliant Simon Carrington.  This year, as I stated before, I will be performing as a soloist for several concerts: Beethoven's Mass in C, Bach's St. Matthew Passion, and Bach's B Minor Mass at the Kauffman Center.  I am also continuing my internship at Village Presbyterian Church (the third largest Presbyterian church in the nation) and I am loving it - I am still excited about great music performed by enthusiastic singers of any age.

When I was picked up from the train station last week, I was asked, "Where are you from?"  I said, "Kansas City!" The driver responded, "Oh, the Choral Capitol of the World."

Now, I've heard that expression before, but only from people around Kansas City.  However, when a Yale Professor says that; it makes me think a little differently about the comment.  Of course, many great choral directors have and still do direct in the Kansas City metro area, and I am very proud to be a part of the choral community here. In fact, this year, I will be performing as a soloist in several Bach Cantatas at the Conservatory in the monthly Bach's Lunch chamber concerts, which are incredibly fun, especially when there is a room filled like an arena, seating on all sides, with Bach enthusiasts, eating their sandwiches as quietly as possible.  I will also be on scholarship with the Conservatory's top choral ensemble, Conservatory Singers, with Dr. Robert Bode.  As I stated before, I will join the chamber choral group Te Deum for several concerts including the Bach B Minor Mass on my birthday next year at the Kauffman Center with the Kansas City Baroque Consortium. And finally, I am announcing that I will also be performing with Kansas City's premiere vocal ensemble the Kansas City Chorale.

The KC Chorale is a world-famous ensemble, Grammy Award-winning, and passionate about making stellar choral music.  I am very excited to begin working with them, and I cannot wait to see what all the next year will hold, but I do anticipate even more exciting gigs and events.

Many of my upcoming concerts will be held here - Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

1 comment:

Featured Post

OLYMPIC CEREMONY DATABASE: Every Summer and Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony of the Olympic Games may be the largest art form in the modern world and certainly one of the rarest.  I provided all ...