Monday, May 16, 2011

Things I Care About

I had an amazing week.  I sang at the Department of Energy's Small Business Conference with special dignitaries, Governors, and US Congressmen in the audience.  It went very well - and especially well for waking up at 5:30 am!  This weekend, my parents came up to visit Dusti and I, celebrating my mother's 50th birthday.  I specially made a Schwartzbeere Kuchen - a recipe that my Grandma and all of my mother's side makes to celebrate special occasions.  I was very proud of how it turned out!

Besides the great time that I had with my family, I was reminded of several things close to my heart and mind recently.  One of which is my childhood music teacher and mentor who was diagnosed with cancer just a couple of days before my wife and I were married.  She was to play the piano at our ceremony.  Since then she has battled cancer, and still is doing so.  She will be walking in the Barton County (KS) Relay for Life celebration on June 10.  They are selling luminaries to light the path for $10 and can be dedicated to a person battling or has battled cancer.  All of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.  If you are interested in making a donation to the ACS while celebrating someone's life with a luminary, please send a check payable to "BMI-Relay for Life" and mail it to: 

Denise Wilkens
Benefit Managment, Inc.
PO Box 1090
Great Bend, KS  67530

Also, I have another video comment on the recent news concerning the arts situation in Kansas.




I was just contacted today by the Kansas City Royals.  They have asked me to sing the National Anthem again!  This time, it will be against the Rangers - on Thursday, May 19 - that's this coming Thursday. If you are in the area, hopefully I'll see you there, and hopefully I won't have to use the earbuds this time!

UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
  • National Anthem - Kansas City Royals vs. Texas Rangers - 5/19
  • Administrative Director of the 33rd Annual Summer Choral Institute - 6/5-11
  • National Anthem - Sporting KC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - 6/25
  • Sugar Creek Opera Festival (Chicago) - role: chorus/cover, opera: Daughter of the Regiment - 7/20-8/7
  • Kansas City Symphony Chorus Auditions - tba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

OLYMPIC CEREMONY DATABASE: Every Summer and Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony of the Olympic Games may be the largest art form in the modern world and certainly one of the rarest.  I provided all ...